The Robert G. Crew ‘Freshman Leadership Scholarship’ is funded by the Beta Omicron Alumni Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity.
Named in memory of Robert G. Crew, an alumnus of Pi Kappa Phi and longtime administrator at Northwestern State University, the scholarship recognizes students who have demonstrated leadership and good character through their involvement in organizations/sports while in high school.
A 1965 and 1968 graduate of NSU, Crew brought credit to the fraternity through his career as a classroom teacher, and many years with the Louisiana Department of Education, including deputy superintendent of education, and his later role as Executive Assistant to the President of NSU. Crew was inducted into the NSU College of Education’s Hall of Distinguished Educators and was awarded The Nth Degree, one of the university’s highest honors that is bestowed for going the extra mile in meritorious service to mankind. He left his mark on the fraternity through years of dedication as an advisor and active alumnus.
The Pi Kappa Phi Freshman Leadership Scholarship was renamed in his memory in 2018 as a tribute to his lifelong dedication to helping students achieve success.
The scholarship recognizes an incoming Northwestern State University male student who has demonstrated exceptional leadership and good character through their involvement in sports/organizations while in high school. Candidates should also point to leadership through service as evidenced by involvement in extra-curricular activities within their community or school. Candidates for this award shall also exhibit academic leadership by having achieved a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) as evidenced by submitted documentation.
In order for your application to be considered, you must comply with / provide the following:
- You are a graduate of a public or private high school.
- You have been accepted by Northwestern State University and intend to enroll as a full-time student for the Fall 2018 semester.
- You have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 as evidenced by your transcript.
- You have completely and thoroughly answered all questions.
- You have submitted a transcript and/or other supporting documentation which can attest to your high school academic work.
- You understand that a telephone interview may be requested by the scholarship committee.
The winner will receive a $500 scholarship and will be recognized during NSU Homecoming activities. All scholarship applications must be received no later than September 1, 2019.
Click the button below to submit your application.