On Saturday, April 8, 2017, alumni of the Beta Omicron Chapter at Northwestern State University, family and friends of the fraternity, and community members teed-off in “chamber of commerce” weather at Northwestern Hills Golf Course.
Nine, two-player amateur teams competed for cash prizes, handed out in an awards ceremony in the clubhouse. First place went to the duo of Sean Austin and TJ O’Rourke, who has twice before played on the tournament’s winning team. Steven Carrier claimed “nearest to the pin” and the longest drive went to Monte Robinson.
The tournament’s “fun” format, a scramble featuring gimmick holes such as speed putt, girls putt, and pick-a-club, remains popular among players, according to tournament coordinator Joseph Magnan.
The tournament is expected to return next Spring for its 12th year. Information on dates and registration will be announced in January 2018. Next year, Magnan said the chapter is hoping to incorporate a tailgate event, featuring food and music for family and friends while the players hit the links.
The annual tournament wouldn’t have been possible without the continued support of individuals and area businesses. Tournament sponsors included:
- Posey’s Sports Center
- Game Stop, Natchitoches
- City Barbershop
- David D. Morgan, Sr. and David Morgan, Jr., Beta Omicron Chapter alumni & proud NSU supporters
- Shawn Daily, Edward Jones Investments
- Association Member Benefit Advisors/ Wes Breeden, Beta Omicron Chapter alumnus & proud NSU supporter
- Lane Luckie, Beta Omicron Chapter alumnus & proud NSU supporter
- Kaffie Frederick General Mercantile
- Raising Canes Chicken Fingers (Store #57) – Natchitoches